Monday, October 8, 2018

Terrain Building and AoS Champions

Howdy folks. Wow, almost went off on a huge tangent on the way words sound....

Anyways...good old, Brother G. has been up to stuff this week. First off, I've been putting together terrain. GW has this graveyard for AoS. Sort of a hefty price tag, but got it on ebay for around $60. It actually makes a good amount of footprint terrain. What I mean by that is, it takes up horizontal space on the board. It is pretty much perfect for Vanguard or other skirmish type games. All in all, I have six crypts, two statues, and a decent amount of fence with four gates. Each piece comes with a base area that is larger than the vertical structure. I can't wait to paint these up. Plus, their size will even work with making D&D maps as well. Assembly took me three nights to put together while watching TV with the wife unit. I need to take pics and post them...so watch this space for an edit later on.

Next up I've been playing a game on my phone called AoS Champions. Falls into the vein of MTG and other one on one card games. I think it plays very well and you can play the app, or with actual cards (why by the way can be scanned into your online collection). Hoping to find time to teach it to my wife this week. She used to play MtG, but the sheer number of cards has made it too daunting to build a deck, and the always increasing rules do the same for just playing. This game currently only has four factions and the rules are fairly straight forward, but there is depth for deck design as well. The app is free, with really no reason not to give it a try.

I also go to play D&D again this week after a two week absence. Here is my dilemma. Most of the players truly enjoy engaging in the absurd with their characters. I am not. I want a good role playing experience. Sure, I enjoy joking around just as much as the next guy, but the sheer scope of the hi-jinks is completely distracting. I just sit there now and hope that it ends so we can continue with the actual playing. I was very close to actually leaving the group after last session. I have no problem with the players. They are all nice guys. And they are definitely having a good time with the game. I've wrestled with the question if it is just me...am I too stuck up with how I want to play to engage along with the rest of them. Maybe it is an age thing? But I don't think so. Back when I gamed in college, my friends and I didn't play like that. It was never a circus. I did do a little bit of looking around for a new group. That is not an easy thing either. It took me a while to find these guys. I'm going to play tonight, and will see how it goes. If it is again distracting, then I'll bring it up and see what the group thinks. Again, I'm torn with possibly taking their fun away. But right now, I'm just not enjoying it.

So there you go folks, hobby stuff, gaming, drama....kind of feels good to have so much going on. I'll see about getting some pics up tonight or tomorrow. Until next time,.

No comments:

Post a Comment