Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Avanti!

Hello Sports Fans,

Have I got a treat for you. I painted stuff. Oh, you heard that right. I painted stuff. And not just like one thing....oh no sir, a whole bunch of things were painted. Proof you ask? Oh, I got your proof.

So lets step back in time a little shall we, to my previous post where I talked about Warmaster and Bolt Action.....and how I needed to paint my Italians... Well, for once, I actually went and did it. Not only that, but I took pics!


Here is a quick pic of my Italians getting built and having the bases ready. I use a pumice material that Velljo sells. Been using it for Flames of War for years, works really well for bolt action bases too.


That's the jar there. Goes on easy with a modelling tool. You can even sculpt it a little, so I was able to make tire tracks and the like. Sweet stuff.


Then I busted out the Army Painter Desert Yellow spray primer. Of course, it has to freaking snow on the day I need to prime. Well to ensure the best coverage that I could, I first made sure my primers were warm. I then went into my garage and set up a priming station. I put down some 2x4s, created a backstop with cereal boxes, and then had little portable heater fans running across the board. I'd spray the models, then use the fan to dry them. Worked fairly well considering it was 30ish degrees outside.


Next up was a test model. I wanted to make sure what paints I wanted to use and how it would all look. Now my plan is to use Army Painter dip on these models as well. However, for the test model, I used their strong tone ink for his wash so I would have some idea of how the detail would pop. Not too shabby (NOTE: pic is just of basecoat, ink not applied yet) :(


Toss in two solid days of painting at a crafting retreat, and there you have it, a fully painted Italian army ready for dip and basing. Well, almost. I forgot to bring a red paint with me so I wasn't able to do the lapels or helmet detail. Also, apparently their grenades were red too, so a few guys need touch ups there. Oh, and I need to do the glass on the goggles. So like 95% done. I got 39 infantry done, the howitzer and crew, a MMG and AT gun, and then the Autoblindo and the M14 (decals needed).

Not only that, but I then had time to put together some MDF terrain from Dave's Wargames. I kickstarted his project a while ago, but never got around to building the stuff. Well it is nice. I didn't take pics of that unfortunately, but I just fit the buildings, not glued them....so maybe my next update will have me finishing those guys off.

Had a great weekend (yay crafting retreats) and just really happy with the progress on my Italians. My first painted Bolt Action army baby! Woot! And I just bought the DAK starter army...so maybe those guys next??

As always, until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment