Monday, September 26, 2016

Abyssals Part Two

Sorry for the delay on this. I still haven't sat down and taking close ups of the rest of the figs. So sorry for that. I'll see about getting those this week and putting them up. Currently I have assembled the following abyssal models:

Lower Abyssals
Flame Bearers
Molochs
Harpy/Gargoyle
Efreeti
Abyssal Champion
Succubi

I talked about the lower abyssals and the flamer bearers last time. Nice models, the LA are a bit hard to rank up. Makes me want to take out a column for a little extra spacing. Kings of War is nice like that.

The Molochs are metal minis and went together just fine. I liked the options they gave with them. I need to buy another set though so I can regiment them in my army. I will say I'm not a fan of the 50x50mm base size for them though. Not sure what the motivation was for that decision, but it made my movement trays useless for them as I didn't build any for that size.

The Harpy/Gargoyle models. First off, they look nice. They use the old plastic material though that Mantic used...so they have a weird flash on them and just a different texture. I have two problems with the models. The first isn't horrid. But all the bodies have boobs on them. Now being a red blooded male, I have no problem with boobs generally. But when you are trying to make gargoyle models with gargoyle heads on them...they look really weird when they all have boobs. So basically I made Harpies since those looked more correct. Not really a problem, just an observation. Problem 2 though is thus, what freaking universe did they think those models would rank up in?? You have to put in some serious planning and engineering up front if you want any hope of those things ranking up on a base. Ugh. And I don't mind holding their feet to the fire on this. If you are going to have rank and file, then you need to design models to fit rank and file.

That brings us to the succubi. These are the new plastic and very nice. But there are issues. Ranking is not one of them though. But again, they decided to have even smaller feet now touching a base and only having part of one foot touching the base!?!? Seriously...what is next, attaching the model to the base using the weapon point? I get the whole "we want dynamic poses". But you know what we really want? We want models that can be assembled and based with only a reasonable amount of effort required. Not as easy to assemble as the lower abyssals, but overall not bad...just the whole "attaching them to a base" part was not great.

Better yet even, I got to play with them this weekend. Got a small group of us that are going to try to get together at least once a month to play kings of war. So this past weekend we did 1000pts and I brought my abyssals.


They grey and purple guys at the bottom of the pic are mine. I went up against a nice fellow that had a Night Stalker army. His models were a hodge podge of models from various systems and other games, but overall looked really good and appropriate. We did a Loot! game and by the end, both armies were pretty well trashed. However, the abyssals were able to snag all three objectives and keep them out of the Night Stalker's hands.

My second game was against the Army of Dust. We used the Idol mission from the campaign book. Not my favorite scenario. I was down a third of my army, and my opponent got to bring back dead units. All the while I had to babysit an Idol that did nothing for me at all. That scenario needs some serious adjustments before I run it again. Suffice to say, my opponent easily destroyed the Idol...I did wipe out a few units though.


Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment