Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Goodbye to a Legend

Hello Gentle Readers,

Two days ago marked the passing of personal hero. Stan Lee, creator of many Marvel heroes, died at the age of 95. I grew up reading comics..a lot of comics. My brother and I had started reading them when we were very young. He was the collector, and me, well I just loved reading them. They were always such a great escape. And our house was a Marvel house. Oh we got the occasional DC comic, but by and large, it was Marvel all the way. I must have seen Stan Lee's comic image a million times over the years within those comics. I'd even read the letters section of the back too. I don't think I could have separated Stan from Marvel.
As an adult, I was thrilled to see the Marvel soar in the movie theaters. You never knew if a "superhero" movie was going to do well or not. Growing up, DC pretty much ruled in terms of success. But finally Marvel got rolling well with the X-Men. All of a sudden I was a little kid again sitting there, watching my heroes come to life. And then Iron Man came out and the whole genre was redefined again. It is the Golden Age of Marvel movies. And in ever single one of them, Stan "the Man" Lee has his cameo. And quite truthfully, it never seemed campy or bothersome. It was a real joy to see him in the movie.
You don't realize how much happiness something has brought you sometimes. Stan's death really impacted me. This man, who was such an integral part of all this joy in my life, is now gone. Even though I never met him, or could say I knew him, his creations are a part of me. Reading those comics helped to define me. His passing brings me real sorrow.

Godspeed Stan.

No comments:

Post a Comment