Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Paths of the Warmaster

Hello Sports fans,

November already. Sheesh, where does the time go? So...what's new? Well, Orktober ended up falling really flat for me. GW hypes the crap out of it, and basically you got a "meh" value box game and a few new models. The freaking codex doesn't even hit stores until the next month?? Here is how much the universe hates me... I could have bought the codex and new cards through the mighty interwebs for a discount...but then I'd have to wait a bit. So instead, I decide to do the good thing and go to my LGS and put them on hold there. Well sure enough, they somehow didn't get their order filled. So here I am, still waiting on the stuff, and having to pay full price. #FirstWorldProblems

Why am I moaning over it? Because I was actually excited about the new codex and stuff. I really like the orks. Ever since 3rd edition came out, I loved the direction the army took. They are unapologetically brutal but in a fun way. How can you not love the orks?? So I'm just bummed that I am still waiting on the codex.

Besides that, my friend Robert has finally gotten his Vanguard stuff from Mantic! Not sure if he got all of it, because he threw in quite a bit of money for extra stuff, but hopefully he got the bulk of it. Also, the friend that he is, he apparently got me a rulebook for it! So now I'll have something more to read...on my stack of rulebooks that keeps seeming to grow.... :(

So...new orks....now vanguard....and I'm really feeling very unfocused in my hobby life. Somehow everything is shiny and catches my attention, pulling me this way and that, but never long enough to apparently do anything but buy stuff. You want to know how unfocused I am right now? I bought Solo the other day (way after it was released) and watched about five minutes of it...paused it..and then just walked away. Me...Joe Star Wars...walking away from a Star Wars movie that I've only seen once or twice. What the hell??

So to that end, I have decided that I need a project...a project that I will commit to and see through. And somehow it has to be different from all those other projects I've started and committed to. But God help me..I need this. I need to work and finish something. This hobby needs to be more than just a temporary distraction for me. So...then what kind of project? Well...believe it or not, I want to start a painting project. I feel the need to paint. I have all these lovely models...and they are grey. I want to paint.

My first and obvious thought, was to do orks. New book...tons of models, lots of options for me..so no shortage of materials...and no outlay of money. That being said, there are a few reasons not to do orks. First off, Robert has been playing them for 40K when we play, not me. So would be a bit odd to paint models and then not use them, well unless I want to play orks too..which I could...but...seems weird.

And then on the Ordo Fanaticus forum, someone posted up in the Warmaster thread. And yes, now we get to the title of the post. Warmaster. I've recently dropped quite a bit getting a few more armies in my collection, most of which are unpainted. So then the idea popped in my head...why not work on some warmaster? I've got three armies at least that need painting....and I don't need whole armies...just say a good 1,000pt starter for each one. Small models, not a huge amount of actual space to paint. Plus, once I get them done, then I'll have lovely painted forces for people to borrow.

Is this idea set in stone just yet? Nope, not at all. But it seems like a decent idea. The real issue is to find something reasonable and practical for me to do. I really like Warmaster, so painting it up should hopefully be fun and rewarding.

Another possible idea would be to paint up a Vanguard warband. But as I don't have anything for that just yet, we'll have to wait and see. Almost a shame my warmaster orcs are already painted...that would have been perfect. :)

Whelp....there's your update. I have a post in November. Yay! Hopefully this game plan actually pans out for once. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment