Monday, April 27, 2015

The distractions continue

First off, I'm still here. I'm still a gamer, and at some point, I will get back to painting my Planetfall models. The poor little guys keep looking up at me from my desk going "paint me....paint me...."

But I've been distracted lately. First and foremost, I started a new hobby these last few weeks...historical gun collecting. Let me tell you, there is a lot to learn. So for the past few weeks, I've been scouring the web for info so that I can make the best purchases possible. It has been really interesting. I've learned all about corrosive ammo for instance, and what a counter-bored barrel means. It has all been very fascinating. And then the best part is, I'll eventually get to shoot these guns! Just to be clear, I'm all about killing paper targets...but that is about it.

So, this past week has all been about getting my first rifle. As I said, tons of research online, looking for the best deals, and finally, making the purchase. I can now say that I'm a proud owner of a Russian 1891 Mosin Nagant rifle. It was made in 1922 and was at one point, captured by the Finnish army and stamped for their use.

I used to be a big flames of war player. I still own many armies for that game and it is probably my all time favorite. The historical aspect of it was just so interesting. I also got into Bolt Action a little too. So to now own a piece of that history....it is quite something.

However, for the time being, I'm done. I live on a gamer budget. Buying a rifle pretty much wiped me out. And I won't be able to go shooting for a couple of weeks...so that means I can get back to my models. So with that said, I will make a goal of finishing the two Planetfall models that are currently on my desk by Friday. I think that is reasonable and attainable. Lets see how much of a slacker I turn out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment