Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Herd vs Kingdom of Men

As foretold, I got to play some Kings of War on Sunday. I was supposed to build some more abyssals but I was lazy and decided to bring a Herd army instead. Which turned out fairly well for me in the end.

We played 1500 points. My list was the following:
2x longhorn regiments
1x hunter troop
1x chariot regiment w/ scrying gem
1x brute horde
2x brutox
1x shaman with heal(5)
1x great chieftain with armor

I played vs Robert's KoM army. I think this is what he had:
1x halbedier horde
1x heavy inf regiment
1x warbeast
1x handgunner troop
1x spearman regiment
2x knight regiments
1x cannon
1x mortar
1x bannerman
1x wizard with lightning bolt(3)
1x wizard on horse with banchant(2)


The table was setup by a third party and the very center of the river was normal terrain. So my pathfinder really helped me charging across.

My herd all lined up.

The evil Kingdom of Men....coming to take my trees!

I don't  have a play by play, but can give you some highlights. For the herd, the left side longhorns were amazing. They wiped out the handgunners, then the spearmen, and then put a pretty big hit on the halberdiers before being wiped out. They did an average of 9 hits per charge. My brutoxes carried the battle though by taking out the two knight units, the warbeast, the bannerman, and the spearmen.

The KoM had their moments too. The mortar got three hits in a row on my brutes and sent them packing, even while inspired. The warbeast crushed my chariots in a single charge as well. One unit of his knights took out my other longhorn unit.

Top of the 4th, the knights would remove the longhorns.

We were playing a tournament scenario where you wanted to hold table 6ths. That actually played very prominently in the tactics of the game. He chose to have his warbeast take my center zone (worth 2 pts) instead of joining the combats which actually gave me a surprise rear charge with my brutox. Very back and forth game.

He ended with his mortar and two wizards left on the table, while I had my two brutoxes, my hunters, and my heroes. He had a shot on his last turn (7) to take out my brutoxes, but missed with the mortar.

Love the fact that this game is so close pretty much every game. Plus, I don't need to spend a week optimizing my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment