Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Small Update

Hello True Believers,

So I just wanted to do a quick update due to some painting experiments I have recently done. I've been trying out some of GW's new contrast paints. These are supposed to really help speed up painting as they give multiple layers of depth in one coat*.

I recently started up a new Chaos Space Marine force and wanted to use them as my first contrast test. The models I had bought were already assembled and primed in a light green color. Most likely GW's spray color, but not really sure. Anyways, using the cool color charts I had found for the contrast paints..
LINK

Gave me some hope that I could use them on the new models. I will also admit that I am very inspired by the Corpus Brethren chapter which is basically white armor with gold highlights. Very cool looking for CSM, but wasn't sure how trying the new contrast white over green was going to work. Well, long story short, it didn't. It turned out really grey...so I did a second coat hoping it would fit it in..and then the whole thing was just grey. So into the dip the model went.

A little more research later, and I should be using white primed models if I want the Apothecary White contrast paint to work. But all of my CSM are green. I have a few options, and clearly the fastest option is to simply prime white over the green.


EDIT: adding more photos as requested...






As you can see, it turned out pretty good. I have some automatic depth from the green undercoat, and now when I use the contrast white, it should smooth out the transitions even more. Super excited about this. Can't wait to finish the model.

Oh, and as to the models in the dip....after just a couple of hours, I pulled them out to see how much paint had come off....well, surprising, just the top layer. All the contrast stuff was off and as I scrubbed the model with a toothbrush, the green undercoat stayed strong. Even the bolt gun paint I put on top came off with no problem, leaving the green primer. So now I just gotta let him dry and I can hit with white. Yay!

Really enjoying painting again. Super excited over these chaos guys. I hope I can do the models justice. Can't wait to finish these up and hopefully finish collecting the planned army for them.

Till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment